LEADERSHIP– Be authentic and approachable with a willingness to consider all points of view
- When residents come before City Council, I will treat them with respect and be open to understanding their position.
- I will take time to learn; the more informed I am, the more effective I will be.
- We will take a pro-active versus reactive approach to recruiting businesses to our city.
- When a decision is made, I will provide residents with a clear explanation of “how” and “why”.
- I will be a genuine and enthusiastic champion of the city and will serve all its residents with integrity.
PROCESS – Participation by all should be paramount in running our city
- Provide more opportunity for public comment prior to taking a vote; listen, learn, lead.
- City Staff should not be the gatekeepers of potential development; the City Council needs to be involved early in the process.
- “That’s how it’s always been done/this has always been the plan” is not a reason for moving forward; seek alternatives, new ways of doing business that meet the needs of our residents.
- Proposals should be vetted by City Council earlier in the planning process to avoid over-commitment from City Staff to a developer; be willing to “push-back” to protect what makes Chanhassen unique.
DEVELOPMENT/GROWTH – We need to bring energy and opportunity to Chanhassen
- Ensure our current residents are informed and listened to when impacted by development. Require higher standards for developers who want to build within existing neighborhoods.
- Listen to our existing businesses about the obstacles they face due to Chanhassen’s current code; establish a business consortium to collect such feedback to build a strong business community.
- Review ordinances/city codes to understand any barriers to entry for independently-owned businesses
- Work with the Southwest Chamber of Commerce to promote our city and seek emerging businesses.
TAXES – It’s the citizens’ money, not the city's.
- Be fiscally responsible by having clear oversight on all budgets.
- Ensure transparency of funds, fund balances and allocation.
- Committed to keep taxes low for all residents, while providing quality services to the community.
- Maintain an increasing and robust tax base.
- Review deficiencies in Chanhassen’s contractual services agreements to avoid wasteful spending.